Saturday, February 13, 2010

Rambles...

I am a classical pianist.  It's true.  I find such joy in playing great pieces by great composers.  I've tried going down other roads and nothing.  I like to play a variety of music but I always return to the classics - my love.  As I've grown older, I've realized certain things.  One of them is that I love J.S. Bach.  I actually love studying and playing his keyboard pieces.  I know - who would ever have guessed that one!  I was practicing through a prelude and fugue this evening and I realized a goal that I want for myself.  I want to study, learn, and perform all of his WTC Preludes and Fugues - Books I and II!!  A lofty goal but one that I can work on the rest of my life if need be.  It's like I've had to grow into Bach.  I remember as a teen and undergrad just groaning at the idea of having to play his pieces.  In grad school it wasn't nearly so bad but now - it's like the wall has come down.  His music makes so much sense and is almost revelatory.  Anyway, I didn't mean to go off on his music.  I just wanted to state my goal and I guess provide a little explanation.

I've been really delving back into my roots - as one might say.  I've been looking through some of my projects from grad school.  All I can say it WOW!  I remember doing those projects and being overwhelmed and overworked but they are good.  Maybe it's a little egotistical for me to say so but I did good work.  I guess time does make things seem better - or maybe as they really are.

On parting, I just want to say one more thing.  Life is just better when I'm playing the piano.

Peace and love,
The Mad Pianist

No comments:

Post a Comment