Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shirley Harris

I studied with Shirley Harris in high school.  I don't know where to even start.  I learned so much during the years I studied with her.  She is also my dad's cousin - but not my next-door neighbor and she is Paulene's sister.

If I had to say the one major thing that I learned from Shirley - it was performance and perfection.  Okay, okay that's two - sorry.  I was able to get a lot of performing experience during these years.  I learned how to effectively present myself as a pianist.  I learned to strive for perfection in my playing.  My best was never good enough.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing - it was good for me.  I was always striving to make something that was good better.  I'm a perfectionist by nature and so it was a quite natural lesson for me to apply to my playing.

Shirley helped me to build my rep.  I learned an awful lot of Beethoven with her.  I also learned concertos with her and chamber music pieces.  I will always remember learning a Bach keyboard concerto with her - it is to this day a favorite piece of mine.

I had my first really emotional lessons as her student.  I would get so frustrated with myself and with her for pushing me so hard.  Combine that with some pretty dramatic music and you have me melting down in lessons. It's true - I was an emotional mess and at times I still am.  I would try to hide it from her - hold the tears in but she always knew.  She also tried to help me understand that I should never be embarrassed when this happens but that's something I still struggle with.

Shirley - I don't know that I could ever thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction.  Thank you for pushing me beyond what I thought were my limits.  Thank you for helping me get prepared for the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment