A look at the life and ponderings of a truly mad pianist just trying to figure things out.
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Piano for....Old People
I have been conned into playing the piano at the care center. I know conned might be a little harsh of a term - but that's exactly what happened. Yesterday it was horrid. I played the Bach E Minor Toccata. Now, I think it was horrid but whatever. The piano was awful - half of the keys on the upper register didn't work or would stick and then not play. Ugh. Well, I was not going to play today. I was determined - using that stubbornness that I'm told runs in my family. Well, I ended up playing and I played the Bach again. I know that piece backward and forward. It has kind of become my signature piece - whodathunk. Before I played I opened up the piano and played around with a few of the keys to get them to at least function a little bit. Well, they worked well enough. The piece went much better today. I think it was Ruth Laredo who said that anyone can sound good on a great piano but it's much harder to sound good on an awful one. Well, today I sounded alright. It would have been better if I could've played to the dynamic that I feel is required and with more contrast - but the residents were eating and I couldn't blow them out. After it was done a few of the residents even requested a few pieces for next time - we'll see how that goes. One of the CNA's made the comment to me, "What are you doing HERE?" Well, I explained to her a little bit of why I'm still there - as much as I felt that I could. I'm even a little glad that I was conned into it - but next time, could I have a little notice so I don't have to play the Bach again - I'm more than a one-hit wonder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment